Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Parent Council Information Evening

Hello Everyone and welcome to the first Parent Council Information Evening.

We hope you will find it interesting and useful.

In the classrooms there are a variety of subjects for you to discover. We have the new reading schemes, various ICT programmes and activities, Active Learning, Critical Skills, A Curriculum for Excellence and AifL. Don't know what these mean? Come and see.

We are also demonstrating how to comment on our Parents' Blog. We want to hear your comments.

Feel free to look at the materials on show, try some out and ask questions. That is why we are here.

2 comments:

David said...

I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to find out more about modern teaching methods and to show me how I can get more involved with my childrens education.
Things really have changed since my time in school, the advances in IT alone are fantastic. This evening really opened my eyes and with more emphasis being put on our children and their peers assessing themselves and better channels for communication back to the teacher, these can only be good things. If you are a parent then don't take this as absolute, the kids 'Don't Assess' their work and hand themselves 10 out of 10. But they are encouraged to communicate how they feel they have done with structured feedback on their own work and their fellow pupils.
I think this will really help the children have a better understanding of what their strengths are and where more effort is required. I also think the kids will find it easier to ask for help, especially as this process becomes the norm.
The ITC programmes are great and just by attending the evening, I found that the BBC Schools website is just bursting with great pages for all ages and with a huge array of subjects covered. I thought I was fairly pro-active with my 7 year old when it comes to the Internet, but just getting pointed in the right direction really helps.

Thank you again to the Parent Council and the teachers involved in organising this event.

David Connell

littlejacq said...

Enjoyed the Parents information evening, found it helful. Looking forward to more.
What about getting the children more involved? would love to come to a night with the children for them to show off their work etc A night i'm sure the whole family would enjoy???